[Ti] no FW800

alexandre mac.k at a2k.ch
Thu Jan 12 13:20:37 PST 2006

On 12 Jan 2006, at 21:52, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2006, at 19:07, Ian Collier wrote:
>
>> When macuser.co.uk tested a number of FW drives including the
>> LaCie d2 Extreme 160 GB it was the fastest drive on test. (Sept
>> '04 http://www.pcpro.co.uk/macuser/labs/20:18/hard-drives/
>> products.html )
>
> Ian - thanks for reminding me of my LaCie disk model. It is a LaCie
> d2 drive (250Gb) with FW800 that I have, in Saudi Arabia, and (to
> answer an earlier question to me) it makes the new backup of my Al-
> book HD in about half the time that it took with my LaCie FW400
> disk (which I have here in GVA).  I am sure that neither function
> at their rated throughput, but the FW800 copy time is for sure
> about half of the FW400 time.
>
> It is good to know that there are better disks round, but often it
> is a question of what is available in stock and at a reasonable
> price during my short visits to Geneva....
>
> Trevor

trevor, i have the same drive as you…

i looked around before buying and all of the reviews i've read about
it rated it as "extremely fast" in comparison to other brands. while
i'm sure there are faster drives, i have difficulting believing this
is a below average product.

a month ago it replaced a lacie fw400 drive and, yes, it is much faster!

i need a second ext 250gb drive. i'll probably be buying the same
one, maybe in its ethernet version.

alexandre
:: 17" 1.5ghz powerbook / 1.5gb / 80gb / X.4.3 ::