[Ti] More MacBook Pro Questions

Timothy D. Naegele tdnaegele.associates at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:10:17 PST 2006

> From: Lisbeth Zachs <zachs at swedenmail.com>

Thanks, Lisbeth. for your comments below:

> > Yes, but Apple told me then that to have Classic, I would have to do a
> > clean install of OS9 and erase everything that I had just reinstalled.
> ---------
> What Apple didn't do was to format the new HD so that an OS 9 system
> could be installed and started from. But you should be able to
> install the Classic version within OS 10 even if they made that silly
> mistake of not checking the OS 9 option box. Or so I thought. Anybody
> certain about it one way or other?

Obviously I don't want to make a mistake, so I welcome your advice and
that of others.

> > Thus, the idea of doing a clean install to put in Classic has not been
> > music to my ears.  That is why I was hoping that the new MacBook Pros
> > would come with it pre-installed.
> --------
> By now you should have learnt to have a backup HD

Yes, this is my fifth PowerBook, and everything is backed up.
Essential files were backed up when the crash occurred too, but Apple
told me that DriveSavers was terrific so I thought they might be able
to save everything, which was not the case at all, and they were a
colossal waste of money.  They claim "Industry-Leading 90% Success
Rate," but my HD must have fallen into the 10 percent fail rate.  :-)

> and so you may just
> as well do a Carbon Copy Clone of your disc to an external HD or a
> SuperDuper backup or any other backup application you choose. Check
> that you can start from the external backup and then format your
> internal disc, Check the OS 9 alternative when formatting and then
> clone your material back from the external HD. Yes it may take an
> evening or so when you cant reach your Mac, but you dont have to sit
> their waiting. I think CCC at least reports what time the cloning
> will take and you can take a healthy walk in the meantime. :-) Or
> someting.

I hate to plead ignorance, but what you just said flies right over my
head.  I have no earthly idea how to do any of that.

> > Yes, I understand that, but I have some CD-ROMs that require
> > Classic to run.
> ---------
> Do they require Classic or is it that they need a Mac started in OS
> 9? There is a difference there. What happens when you insert them. Do
> they try to start the Classic you don't have or simply get rejected?

Let me give you a perfect example.  I have "109 Years of National
Geographic Magazine on CD-ROM," which consists of lots of CDs.  To the
best of my knowledge, they are not offering the package anymore.

When I inserted one of the disks just now and tried to launch the
installer, the following message appeared: "Classic cannot find a Mac
OS 9 system folder on the startup disk to use."  A button also
appeared, which says, "Open Classic Preferences," and I cannot do that
because Classic is not installed.

> If you really don't want to do a backup exercise (which you really
> ought to do in my opinion) I think you should test to do the Classic
> install from your OS 10 discs unless someone on this list can say
> for certain that even that alternative requires a checked OS 9 system
> at the HD format.

I was told by Apple that Classic had to be installed before everything
else, and that they screwed up when they put in the new HD.

> > Office/Word for the MacBook Pro will be
> > compatible with documents created on all earlier versions of Word
> > for the Mac -- hopefully.  :-)
> All versions would certainly be to ask too much. I doubt they even
> handle 5.1 and lower than that I can't even imagine they will.

So far, Office/Word seem to handle all documents produced in earlier
versions, which is terrific.  Hopefully that continues to be the case
when the new Office/Word is released for the MacBook Pro.

Thanks again, Lisbeth.

Tim Naegele
www.naegele.com