Windows is good advice for the consultants who support it (was: Re: Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable))

Ardeshir Mehta ardeshir at mac.com
Wed Jan 18 11:52:46 PST 2006

On 18-Jan-06, at 12:31 AM, Chris Olson wrote:

> You can show them a Mac and they don't care.  They don't care
> because they're not passionate about computers, and even less
> impressed with learning a new interface that looks totally
> foreign.  The computer is just another appliance like the toaster.
> For these people, Windows on a cheap $300 PC is perfect.

That's exactly it. The same applies to many other activities. I for
example am an avid photographer, and can appreciate the differences
between different cameras. My camera collection has cost me upwards
of $2,000 (I have seven of them, all different sizes, from a sub-
miniature Minox to a 4x5 in. Speed Graphic - all bought used on eBay,
because I can't afford new). I get gorgeous enlargements made
professionally, up to 2 x 3 ft. in size - and one even larger - each
at considerable expense. Other people, those who want only 4x6 in.
snapshots costing mere pennies each, couldn't care less about their
photos ... and so couldn't care less about their cameras either.

If one is serious about one's work, one ought to be serious about the
tools that enable one to get one's work done. If one is not serious
about one's work, on the other hand ...