[Ti] Disk Utility NOT repairing disk??????? (OT)

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Wed Jan 25 02:28:48 PST 2006

I said:

>That's not because permissions can't be fixed while booted from the main
>drive, but because the correct permissions from the CD/DVD *are
>different* from you main drive (unless you have the exact same
>incremental version on both). What part of that did you not understand?
And this turned out to be not so useful information as Disk Manager Tool
indeed consults the receipts folder of the volume whose permissions are
being repaired.
This does not mean, however, that it's not OK to repair permissions while
booted from the drive being repaired. Usually this works out fine.
Note that Apple recommends booting from CD/DVD when you want to verify or
repair the file system or other volume data (I think this necessity
doesn't extend to permissions):

"Mac OS X: Disk Utility incorrectly reports disk errors on startup volume
(disk)"