[Ti] Firewire Port Frying External Hard Disks

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 21 19:39:56 PDT 2006

I didn't notice until starting my reply that you were writing from an
IEEE E-mail address...  It all makes sense now.  ;-)  Most people
don't go that far in tinkering.
Honestly, I can't say much that will help you; cables are also a
common culprit.  One company went as far as replacing all their
firewire cables every several months to avoid internal shorts between
power and data lines (the most common cause of a fried Firewire
device).  And, believe it or not, it *is* possible to plug a Firewire
cable in backwards, despite the keying.  It just takes a little extra
force.  Barring those two easy solutions, there's not much I'm aware
of that will help.  I forget exactly which revision (yours was either
the last without it, or the first with it, IIRC), but they started
adding protection diodes and other circuitry to the Firewire circuit
on the PowerBook motherboard to reduce the number of port failures.
The only option I know of to fix the motherboard is to replace it.

I would agree with your assessment that it doesn't seem like the
PowerBook has the power available to be the culprit, despite the
evidence to the contrary.  Though a 3.3V source through a 100 ohm
resistor is a good 33 mA, which is more than many ICs can handle if
they are internally shorted to ground.  In any case, a new firewire
cable, and a PC Card for the PowerBook might be the best solution to
avoid frying any more Firewire bridge chips.