[Ti] Macbook pro version 2...

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon May 8 18:18:25 PDT 2006

On May 8, 2006, at 7:26 PM, Alan Vonderhaar wrote:

> Whatever. The ultimate issue is whether it's usable as a "laptop".

The 15" MacBook Pro that I've played with is definitely too hot to
place in your lap unless it's doing nothing but idling.

> And of course max core temp implies heavy lifting.

Of course it does.  But Intel has a different concept of "normal"
operating temperatures vs what we're used to in the PowerPC world.
For instance, the mobile Celeron and Celeron-M run at 100°C and pull
a whopping 26.3 - 37.7 core amps @ 1.3 VDC!

Of course, the Core Duo is an "improvement", but it's still not close
to the PowerPC world for efficiency.

And BTW - if you look at the heat removal system in the MacBook Pro
(similar to Intel-powered Thinkpads), that same system would very
adequately cool a dual-core G5 processor as well.  The dual-core
PowerPC 970 MP's (with built-in virtualization) are available in IBM
Blade servers running linux, and they're renowned for low power
consumption, low heat dissipation, and they're air-cooled (not liquid
cooled aka the PowerMac).
--
Chris