[Ti] need new wireless router: what works best with Mac?

Bob Fowles rbf at psu.edu
Thu Nov 23 09:06:07 PST 2006

At home I use an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station on the 1st floor
with a Canon IP4000 connected to the base station for wireless
printing. I also have a D-link cable modem connected to base station
for a hi-speed Internet connection. I use my Tibook on the first
floor and the iMac on the second floor (both have airport cards).

Somewhere I read that the Tibook Airport card uses the 802.11b
protocol. So, the router must at least support that protocol.

I visited someone who has a Linksys WRT54G and I was able to connect
with no problem within 20 feet on the same floor.  I never tried any
other location so I don't know what range this might have.

The Belkin routers have a lifetime guarantee.

http://www.amazon.com has hundreds of reviews for all 3 mentioned
brands. Some of those have some very good information.

Belkin has a series of routers that are advertised with various
ranges. In Walmart I've seen Belkin models that do 500ft and 700ft
(that's optimal of course). Best Buy had a Belkin that did 1000 ft.

Best Buy (at least in my area) sells various models of all 3 brands
and some of the sales people were fairly knowledgeable. They seem to
have a fairly liberal return policy in case the model you buy does
not work in your situation.

Bob Fowles