[Ti] Ti 800 PRAM

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sun Sep 3 13:31:31 PDT 2006

Don't count on it.  No software test of hardware can come anywhere
near having a 100% coverage of all possible failure modes.  In my
experience working at an Apple Authorized Service Provider, all
software RAM tests combined (TechTool, Apple Hardware Test, the AASP-
only Apple Service Diagnostics, memtest, whatever) won't even catch a
quarter of all bad RAM.  Usually we'd be able to find bad RAM with a
hardware memory tester - you physically remove the memory from the
unit, then run a bunch of tests.  However, sometimes even that wasn't
enough, and we'd just have to swap out RAM until the problems
disappeared.

The bad news is that memory is very easy to test - how do you test a
CPU with 58 million transistors?  There's no way to know whether
you're exercising all possible logic paths.  Now add in a PCB that
might have a loose solder joint, or an intermittent failure of any of
the literally thousands of parts on the logic board - you can see,
there's no real silver bullet.  Sometimes something just stops
working.  Obviously, the more complex items as well as mechanical
items tend to have problems; hence, RAM, CPU, hard drive, and display
are all common culprits.  Taking all possible logic board problems
together, that's another one.

So, give any software tests you have (Techtool, AHT, etc.) a shot; if
it tells you something is broken, then fix it.  If it tells you
everything is normal, keep in mind that it will only catch the most
egregious errors.

The best hardware tests are the ones used at the factory; depending
on how reliable the product needs to be, they may test every
electrical connection, the functionality of every chip, and
functional tests over a range of temperatures, voltages, and
humidities.  Where I work, I regularly use a thermal chamber, freeze
spray, or a heat gun to try to get failures to happen.