[Ti] Diagnostic assist for Titanium PowerBook needed

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Mon Jan 29 22:02:31 PST 2007

I have a broken 5 year old TiBook (667MHz, 1GB, 60GB) and could use
some assist in diagnosing before I decide what to do next:

Here's the details:
The screen was flashing intermitantly as if the wiring to the display
was faulty. Upon close examination, I found that the hinge was broken
on one side and the screen corner was beginning to separate. I did
some surgery and was able to loosen the hinge pivot and glue things
back together so that though the hinge it doesn't provide any
friction hold for the display, it does hold the screen to the base
and pivots just fine. Friction hold is done by the other undamaged
hinge.

I noticed no wiring damage, and wiggling the wires during a mid-
repair bootup check showed no display problems.

After the glue dried, powerup resulted in about a 10 pixel scrambled
line across the bottom of the display. Touching the machine in
various ways intermittantly made the display scramble and the machine
had to be restarted to make it useable again. Over time, the machine
has deteriorated worse so that now, not only is the display dead, but
the machine won't boot up.

I have:
reset PMU
reset PRAM
pulled memory boards one at a time

I attached an external display, and when the LCD flipped out, so did
the external display.

Now fiddling around, jiggling or touching might get it to boot once
in twenty tries. I can log in after booted, but after a while it
freezes with a jumbled display.

I'm thinking the logic board is in its final death throes and am
willing to replace it for $100-$150 to get the machine back.

However, before investing, I'd like some confirmation that others
think this is likely the problem or could it be something else?

Memory and disk seem fine. Is there a power controller or something
that might be the cause? Any ideas or benefits from your experience
appreciated.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com