[Ti] Hinge Repair advice

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Jul 10 06:48:00 PDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at Tue, Jul 10 2007, 8:16 am, FWPHOTO wrote:

> I'm going to attempt a hinge repair (left side only) on my 800MHz
> Titanium using the Glide Kit from RADTECH & then, . . .
>
> What?
>
> For those who have repaired the hinges themselves, what did you do
> to stick the broken pieces back together? Epoxy? Specifically what
> kind? Your technique? Problems you encountered along the way?

The Glide Kits only contain tools to loosen and lubricate a stiff
hinge, not to repair anything. If your hinge is just stiff and hard
to swing, this will do it and you will need no further repair.

If the hinge has any cracks and is still mostly intact, you might get
away with loosening and lubricating with the RADTECH kit if you will
open/close it infrequently. If it's broken it will need replacement
and I recommend you send it out for repair to MacService. The hinge
assembly is about $80 from PBParts and the full repair with parts and
warranty is $200. If you're really handy and have the time, you could
do it yourself. I don't think it's worth the time and risk of damage
though.

I did try to repair mine (it was cracked and very stiff so that the
LCD case was splitting apart.  I did manage to loosen it a little
(without the RADTECH tool) but in the process of bending it back and
forth actually snapped the axel pin so that now the lid only works
with one hinge holding the lid. The broken one just holds the display
panel in place (which is just fine, actually). I did use Gorilla glue
to put everything back together on the broken hinge, reinforcing the
LCD halves with a small piece of metal glued to the edge on the
corner. Since the hinge carries no stress, it does the job just fine.
In the process, though, I damaged the display a bit so that the
bottom 1/4" is just solid lines. The rest works OK and its still
usable; I just have to put the Dock at the side.

There are small fragile cables involved so it's not hard to kill the
whole display. That would be expensive.

--
Dennis Fazio