[Ti] 550Mhz Logic Board

Simon Royal mail at simonroyal.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 03:47:12 PDT 2007

Hi

I didn't get the 500Mhz logic board upgrade on eBay I was after last
week. However, I have spotted a 550Mhz logic board also on eBay and
have a few questions if anyone can answer them.

My PowerBook is a 400Mhz G4 with 100Mhz system bus. It came in 400Mhz
and 500Mhz models and you could put the logic board from a 500Mhz
into a 400Mhz and it would work.

Nine months later, Apple brought out a second range a 550Mhz and
667Mhz model. Both had gigabyte ethernet and 16mb AGP 4x graphics
card (the original TiBook only had 10/100 ethernet and 8mb AGP
graphics card).

 From looking at the logic board of the 550Mhz it looks exactly the
same, all the ports and connectors and casing looks the same, unless
anyone knows any different. The 550Mhz featured a 100Mhz bus but the
667 had a 133Mhz bus.

So my question is, can I put a 550Mhz logic board into my 400Mhz
machine? If not why not?

Simon Royal
-- computer advice, repairs, upgrades and support, hardware and
software, Mac & PC
-- www.simonroyal.co.uk
-- the box says requires Windows 2000 or better, so I bought a Mac
-- there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand
binary and those who don't