[Ti] TiBook Overheating

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Sun Jun 10 06:58:48 PDT 2007

On 10 Jun 2007, at 03:16, Rafe Day wrote:

> Dennis:
>
> Thanks for your advice.  I checked vents and blew everything out, but
> nothing appeared clogged.  No luck there.  Then I disassembled the
> thing and
> it thermal connectivity *appeared* solid between the processor and
> heat
> sink.

What *can* happen with thermal grease is over time the conductivity
of the grease does start to fail. If you removed the heat sink from
the CPU then you will have disturbed the heat sink -> grease -> CPU
transition, so i recommend you reapply.

There is a lot to say about how to do this, so the best thing to do
is to point to a website with more information:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

(These guides are for Intel processors, but once you understand the
important points you can apply them to any processor).

Top tips:

1. Don't use too much grease

2. Make sure all exposed areas are covered evenly with a credit card
or similar plastic card to spread it.

3. Make sure both surfaces are clean of grease before you begin.

4. Once you place the heatsink  on the the CPU don't remove it again!

--
Tarik