[Ti] PowerBook G4 Fan Noise

Simon Royal mail at simonroyal.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 15:00:56 PST 2009

Hi

I have an 867Mhz PowerBook G4 running Leopard for a few months. It was a
bit of a repair job, but it is fully working now.

The fan on the right side of the unit works fine most of the time. You can
hear it spinning but nothing out of the ordinary, until the machine gets
hot or is under a lot of work then the fan steps up a gear. The fan gets
very loud and starts making a horrible grinding noise.

I have Googled this problem with a number of solutions or causes but
nothing concrete.

Is it the fan? Is it normal wear and tear as this is a 6 year old machine?

I have checked the fan and it looks clean. I also read that sometime if the
cables to the fan are not in the right place they can get trapped between
the casing and vibrate slightly, but this is definately a rotating noise.

The only other thing to mention is I have a few screws from the bottom of
my casing. There should be seven screws and I only have four. I have
changed the position of the screws but it makes difference. I thought it
might the casing slightly lose and vibrating.

I should be able to pick up a fan pretty cheaply and I can fit it. Would it
be worth it? Would it be worth replacing both the fans (there is one in the
middle at the back blowing towards the back).

>From reading around noisy fans seems to be quite common.

Any help would be grateful.

Simon

--- http://www.simonroyal.co.uk - Mac news, reviews, guides, upgrades,
hacks and more... - http://www.nmug.org.uk - webmaster for Norwich Mac User
Group - The box said requires Windows XP or better, so I bought an Apple
Mac.