[Ti] Help! Ceased PowerBook Hinge

Simon Royal mail at simonroyal.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 02:19:19 PDT 2009

Hi

I have a problem with my PowerBook G4 Titanium 867Mhz this morning. I
had been using it fine earlier this morning, but then I went to open
the screen and crack, one of the hinges broke.

I took the hinge covers off the back of the hinges and removed the
screen bezel and it seems the part of the hinge that is attached to
the screen has snapped clean off. On close inspection it seems the
left hand hinge has ceased up completely, hence opening the screen
snapped it clean off the screen.

Here are some pics to illustrate what I mean.

http://www.simonroyal.co.uk/powerbookhinge/01.JPG
http://www.simonroyal.co.uk/powerbookhinge/02.JPG

Any ideas why? Why would it suddenly cease up? Do you think it is
possible to uncease it?

I have some very strong instant adhesive. If I could uncease it I
could glue it back to the screen and hopefully it will hold, at least
temporarily.

Secondly then, does anyone have a spare screen surround? The actually
screen is fine, but the lid (where the Apple logo is) is a bit dented
and scratched, not that this bothers me, but as it seems I am going to
have to replace the screen surround/lid anyway I might try get a good
looking one.

Regards

Simon Royal
---
Visit my Mac site at http://www.simonroyal.co.uk. Or Skype me on
'Simon-Royal'. (Apple PowerBook G4 867Mhz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD,
SuperDrive. Mac OSX 10.5, 10.4 & 9.2.2...)