[Ti] slightly off topic -- what to do with old computers - was: Re: Dead TI

Bill Chapman pagewise at interlog.com
Sat Oct 2 08:07:27 PDT 2010

  I'm a longtime graphic artist. My attitude has long been is that it's
prudent to have at least one capable backup computer — loaded with the
same files and software as your main Mac—ready to go in case of
disaster. That attitude did in fact save my (Canadian) bacon about 8
months ago. In the middle of a 42-page time-critical web build, my
Quicksilver G4 800MHz Tiger hard drive unexpectedly and quite suddenly
conked out one morning. No problem... I have a 4-Mac LAN which includes
my G4 Titanium Powerbook 1.6GHz Leopard, which has the same Adobe CS4
content-creation software aboard, including Dreamweaver. But I wanted
another desktop Mac, so went that same day and got a secondhand (all 12
of my Macs purchased over the years are secondhand) G5 Dual 2GHz tower.
I'm glad for that disaster since the G5 is waaaaay more capable than any
of my other Macs.

I finally replaced the dead 40Gb HD in the Quicksilver with a 160Gb...
and bumped my G3 B/W 400MHz tower (got it on eBay in early '08 for
$108.00CDN) off the network. It now sits in a place of honor, in all its
beauty, right above my 'new' G5 on my Ikea bookshelf haha.

My LAN also includes my PowerMac 8600 300MHz MacOS 8.6)... my Wacom
tablet, scanner and printer are attached. I occasionally swap my G3 iMac
350MHz and G3 300MHz Clamshell iBook on and off the network in place of
the Ti book, just for fun.