Airport Extreme Base Station

Ted Burton egburton at clearwaterpeace.org
Sat Feb 22 15:44:38 PST 2003

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station in order to use my new
PowerBook in the living room where my injured leg can be stretched
out in a recliner. The Base Station works just fine. No problem
there. It is on an Ethernet network WAN side. No problem. In fact
this message was composed and sent using it.

However, neither of Apple's applications designed to configure the
base station can see it. I have followed all the instructions about
resets and restarts and sequence of power up and connections and
such, without success. All the trouble-shooting assumes the apps can
see the base station -- and they don't.

Now i can fire up the Airport Admin. Utility and manually enter the
default IP # and it brings up a screen that looks like it might be
interesting, but crashes before I can even read it.

It all just works. My problem is that I would like to configure the
base station not to use DHCP in order that my connection not get
hijacked by a neighbor or some such.

Hmmmmm.