[X-Apps] mail.app and MS mail server

Dennis T Cheung decheung at mailcan.com
Thu Jan 23 14:15:38 PST 2003

That is absolutely not true and totally unfounded. If you've ever actually
tried to use Entourage with Exchange, you would know that Entourage doesn't
fully support Exchange.

1) MS Exchange server communicates with Microsoft Outlook via a very well
documented protocol called MAPI.  (Just do a search on amazon.com.) However,
it also supports IMAP, POP, and SMTP for the purposes of supporting clients
that are not Outlook.

2) Entourage for the mac only supports Internet standards like LDAP, IMAP,
POP, and SMTP.

3) The real reason is NOT that the person's IT department disabled POP,
IMAP, and SMTP because "MS brainwashing", but rather that the person's IT
department probably enabled a form of authentication encryption called
NTLMv2. This is not particularly common, but Entourage supports it, whereas
Mail.app does not. Frankly, I think it is off by default but I don't recall.

For any other Entourage questions, may I recommend the Entourage-Talk
mailing list <mailto:entourage-talk-on at lists.letterrip.com>.

4) Finally, if you're using Linux, you can connect to an Exchange server
with full collaborative capabilities. May I recommend that you try Ximian
Evolution with the Exchange connector. I've used it in the past and it works
just fine. Or, why not use a Mac at work like I do? :)

Dennis T Cheung | decheung at mailcan.com