URL files from IE on a PC

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sat May 3 19:59:11 PDT 2003

People on that "other" operating system are always sending me links
that are .URL files with a format like this:

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=http://www.handspring.com/software/blazer_overview.jhtml

[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://www.handspring.com/software/blazer_overview.jhtml
Modified=C0B6FACBA7D3C20178

I guess they come from IE on the PC - except that neither IE nor
Netscape on the Mac seems to do anything with it. IE will show it like
a text file, but Netscape just locks up. The best I could figure out to
do is make a text reader the "helper" application for that file in
Netscape (I normally use Netscape) then copy the URL from the text
window and paste it into the browser.

Anyone know if there's a way to make these things work by just double
clicking on them? It would be worth it to write a program that parses
the file, extracts the URL, and calls the system default browser with
it. Danged annoying that IE on the PC generates stuff that IE on the
Mac won't work with.

SR