[X-Apps] What does the Import menu item do in iTunes? [LONG]

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Mon May 5 06:54:15 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 10:58  PM, Jim MacCormaic wrote:

> I wanted to convert some AIFF files to either MP3 or AAC, and assumed
> that this menu item was the answer to my prayers. Not so. No matter
> which AIFF file I navigate to (even system sounds just as a test), all
> are greyed out. I thought maybe it was an alternative for
> importing/encoding CD tracks, but even those turn up their noses at > me.

This is a long shot, but it sounds like you're trying to do it
backwards, which is exactly how I tried to import the  in iTunes at
first. The dialog box that comes up after you select "Import" isn't to
find the files you want to import, its to select where you want the
imported tunes to go.

AFAIK, to import songs, you first have to have them in an iTunes
library, select them, then select Import.

So for a CD, it will show up in your Library list, and you can either
select the entire CD or a couple songs and import.

For a song on your hard drive, you first need to drag-and-drop it into
iTunes, select it, then import.

This seems like a lot of extra steps to me, and you run the risk of
having duplicate files made, so I hope someone knows a better way.

-Mike