How to make animated gifs?

hart at nasw.org hart at nasw.org
Wed May 14 08:05:03 PDT 2003

I received the pieces as a WAV file and a single large TIFF made from
three strips of the spectrogram laid on a scanner (or maybe even pasted
on paper then scanned). I did this quick and dirty, after a little
experimentation:

In Photoshop, I made one layer with the vertical scale, then a second
layer onto which I pasted each frame of the spectrogram along with its
horizontal scale. Each paste made a single frame. I saved each frame
separately, so there are 32 frames. I numbered them in order 1.psd,
2.psd, etc. There are two ways I could have proceeded from there.
QuickTime Pro will import a folder of images into a movie as long as
they're numbered. (Here's another movie done that way:
http://acp.eugraph.com/fish/electric.html) What I did in the case of
the starling song was to use GoLive's QuickTime timeline editor to
assemble the movie because I could sync the sound track with the
one-second pictures.

I assume that any graphics application would work, though the layers
feature was a big help. And any timeline-based movie editing
application would work. I haven't experimented with combining a folder
of images with a sound track in QuickTime Pro, where there's no
timeline.

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 05:43  AM, X-Applications wrote:

>> <http://acp.eugraph.com/birds/sing.html>
>
> Neat examples.  Thanks.  (Did you put together the last one using
> iMovie?)  BTW, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't have
> Photoshop, but I use the Gimp.  The Gimp doesn't seem to save directly
> to a gif.  Do you know of a plug-in or something that I can install via
> Fink that would enable the Gimp to save directly to a gif?
>
> Thanks again, all.  I appreciate all your tips.
>
> ---John.

Stephen Hart
http://eugraph.com