[X-Apps] e-mail Virus "WORM" in Mail.app

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sat May 24 07:58:15 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 08:50 Canada/Eastern, R. Welz wrote:

> Today I received a very strange e-mail.
> Do I have to fear an attack?

Nein. It's crap -- clearly a hoax. You can tell by the tone of the
message, as well as by stuff like "it will stay on your computers
Motherboard".

Mac viruses are rather rare (I haven't actually found an infected Mac
file since 1991 or 1992) and PC viruses can't infect a Mac (although,
presumably, they could infect the Virtual PC environment). However, you
can be infected by 'macro viruses', that is viruses which are
transmitted through Microsoft Office documents, which are
cross-platform.

In this particular case, you may wish to check

http://www.evocash.com/
index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_warning&clientwarningid=9

for more info.