[X-Apps] Recording audio

Dick Biessener dicb1 at attbi.com
Fri May 30 09:56:43 PDT 2003

On 5/29/03 10:09 PM, "hart at nasw.org" <hart at nasw.org> wrote:

> So maybe someone can explain to me why OS X, with it's amazing sound
> capability--playing n audio tracks at once, for example--can't record
> what's coming out of the speakers. Shouldn't this be a simple
> procedure? I've looked at RadioFree and RadioLove (was StreamRipperX)
> and neither does this. Sound Studio and AudioXplorer, for example,
> ignore what's "on."
>
> Stephen Hart
> http://eugraph.com

It would be neat if one could just capture it in a file, directly.  But in a
little more complex setup I have recorded QuickTime Player output into Sound
Studio.  However the path was:

G4: MIDI File -> QuickTime Player -> USB Audio Out -> iMic-> Mixer ->

Preamp ->iMic -> USB audio in -> Sound Studio

I have the path as a permanent setup in my office.

Not quite as elegant, but doable.  The original file was a MIDI file created
by Band-in-a-Box on a 7600, (OS 9.0.4).  The destination was an MP3 file in
iTunes and ultimately on my iPod.  Sadly, most of the musical dynamic of the
MIDI file did not survive the conversion to MP3.  I haven't gotten around to
checking the impact of AAC on the dynamics.

HTH. (933G402, MOSX.2.6)

DickB
Forever delight,
Unix residing below,