Mail query

John Lowther j.lo at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 26 18:48:31 PST 2003

   I use earthlink.
   When I got my mac I had a .mac account for awhile but  didn't stay
with it.
   I have long since deleted .mac account info.
   But, now and then earthlink has gas or some sort of blockage and I
cannot send mail and I get a dialogue box telling me that I cannot send
mail and it invariably asks if I would like to "try this account" and
shows me; .mac.
   This seems odd to me, under Mail > Preferences > Accounts.. the .mac
account no longer exists,.. so why does it do that?.. and is there a
way to make it stop? (this is not a functionality problem, just
curious.)

OS X.2
iMac 17" flat screen