Shrinking PDFs

John B. Thoo jb2 at ms.yuba.cc.ca.us
Tue Feb 3 19:53:46 PST 2004

On Tuesday, February 3, 2004, at 06:34 AM, in X-Applications Steven
Rogers wrote:

> I was putting a PDF form with some javascript together yesterday (in
> Acrobat), and as I tweaked and re-saved it, I noticed the file got
> bigger and bigger every time I saved it. At first, but just a few dozen
> k, but after a while by 500k each save. Fortunately, it occurred to me
> to try doing a "save as" to a new file, and that does seem to reset the
> process, so I got back from a 2 MB file to a 160k file. Don't know if
> that works in every case, but it does seem to help Acrobats problem
> with growing PDF files.

Yes, now that you say it, I recall that using "Save As..." in Acrobat
as the last save can reduce the final PDF file size.  But I find that
an 8.5" x 11" page scan (using VueScan that saves to a JPEG) results in
a > 1 MB PDF file produced with MacOS X "Save As PDF..." from Preview;
and subsequently using "Save As..." in Acrobat doesn't seem to help
much in this case. :-\  Thanks.

---John.