[X-Apps] replacement for Visage

Dan Frakes lists at frakes.org
Mon Feb 23 11:30:02 PST 2004

Renita Williams <rmmwms at att.net> wrote:
> I've finally made the transition to Panther--thanks for all the help
> and advice members of the list provided.
> I only have one problem so far. I used to run Marine Aquarium in the
> background as my desktop thanks to a program called Visage.
> Unfortunately, it has not been updated for Panther. Does anyone know
> of another program that will allow you to run a sceensaver as a desktop
> image? I miss my fish swimming around.

There are two approaches. One, which is the approach taken by Visage and
most other utilities like it, uses functionality built into Mac OS X.
However, that functionality appears to have broken under Panther, which
means most of these utilities don't work very well.

The second approach is to use a utility that doesn't use Apple's Desktop
Effects engine, but rather provides its own. xBack is a good one:
<http://www.gideonsoftworks.com/xback.html>