[X-SW] Mail quits unexpectedly repeatedly

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 15 10:49:43 PST 2005

Darn!  Installing OS 10.3.8 Hasn't solved the problem.  Mail.app is
still "quitting unexpectedly" frequently.

I see the same pattern as does Andy. The spams that cause it to crash
have the same GIF file (an ad for shall we say  "recreational
medications") appended to it although it has a different name each time
I get the spam. A GIF file sent to my self as an attachment of course
doesn't have any unusual behaviors.   The spam gets thru the mail.app
automatic junk filter. When I click the button to identify it as junk,
the app quits.  If I move the spam to the Junk folder manually nothing
bad happens usually althought sometimes I get a crash when I empty the
junk folder. The only reliable way I have found so far is to highlite
the spa and press the "<delete> button  then emptying the trash.

I've been playing around today with JunkMailMatcher.   But alas the
first three times I filtered my mail with it,  these spams got thru
that filter set too. It's quite complicated and I haven't yet figured
out yet how to create my own filters.  I'll see if I can find some
people who know what they are doing with JunkMatcher.  Will keep you
advised.

John