[X-HW] recommendations for firewire enclosures

Albert W D'Amanda aldamanda at comcast.net
Thu Dec 12 11:47:19 PST 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 11:36  AM, James S Jones wrote:

> No FireWire drive of any kind is every bootable on a B&W under any
> circumstances or OS version.

That I knew before i bought the item

My plan was to have a removable, FW  backup drive with a fully cloned
set of personal files  and blessed  X System Folder installed.( using
CCC)
In case of an internal  primary hard drive failure, after recovery of
the drive,  I could then clone back all the backup files from the FW
w/o having to reinstall X
Checked it out and it did work on a "rest" run.

> I don't get how your startup disk problem, at all. It should never
> have been an option in the preference panel.

With a blessed X System Folder installed, the FW icon will show up as a
selectable bootup drive in the Startup Disk panel of System
Preferences. Don't know why , but it does!

>  Was this drive formerly bootable when connected to the IDE bus, then
> moved to a FW enclosure??

yes

> 10.2.x doesn't play well with the built-in FW module on the B&W

I found that out !.
Problem is that all my PCI slots are taken.So, there is no room for a
FW PCI card.

albert