[X-HW] Tape Backup Recommendations Please

Gregoire Seither gregoire at pobox.com
Fri Jan 17 07:26:23 PST 2003

le 17/01/2003 16:13, Joey Parshley écrivait :

> Hi All,
>
> I tried this in the Server group to no avail so I am giving it a shot here.
>
> Could someone recommend some solutions for tape back up. We will have 480 Gb
> of space but we do not need to back all of it up. I would appreciate some
> scenarios that are currently in use.

We have two DLT 80 Gigabyte Tape drives connected to the trusty old 8600
with Retrospect 5 on it that backs up all the workstations over the network
every night. Tapes are rotated daily (i.e. The Monday tape, the Tuesday
tape, the Wednesday tape..). The sysadmin is responsible for changing the
tape daily and for storing the weekly tapes off site (except the one that is
used that night and the doubles that are kept in the safe). Each Saturday a
weekly tape is made that is stored in the  safe.

If you have 480 Gig of backup space you might consider doing the daily
backups to hard drive and only back up to tape once a week.

It all depends on the amount of new data Retrospect will have to backup
every night, since we archive all our scans the volume is quite high (around
20-30 Gigs a day)

Wah