Brand New G4 Disc Start up

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Sun Nov 24 14:18:13 PST 2002

>Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:26:34 -0500
>From: Albert W D'Amanda <aldamanda at comcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [X Newbies]
>

>On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 02:39 PM, Chris Foote wrote:
>
>>  No, you can't start up from the install disk.
>
>Hello
>I am following this with interest on a "new" G4 option
>
>I pose this scenario from a "newbie", potential , new Apple convert
>perspective.
>
>What you are saying is that I go to CompUSA, buy this G4 mini tower for
>$1694( no monitor)  .
>It has one internal drive with OS X.2 pre installed ; and it comes with
>an installation disc that is not bootable. OK
>
>I get it home . Power line surges corrupts my box, OK
>
>How do I then boot up to reinstall  ? . Wait for "GODOT " to show up?
>And while I am waiting I can use it as an expensive paper weight
>
>   Is it any wonder that Apple is in financial trouble!
>And why my daughter went for a Dell System!
>
>albert
>
>B&W Yosemite
>Apple since 1985

If you were really hosed, you'd boot up the restore disks and restore
everything. If not, you'd boot up the 10.2 installation disk and run
disk utility (do this first!). So what's the problem?
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html