[X Newbies] Partitioning question

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Mon Aug 4 07:36:05 PDT 2003

On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 10:12 AM, Mike Gantz wrote:

I know I'm coming in a little late, but...

> Questions:
> 1. Will I have to partition the drive first (or should I) ?

No. My advice has always been that unless you have a specific reason to
partition, you shouldn't. The fact that someone asks the question
usually means that don't have a specific need for partitioning, so...

> 3. Can I use a crossover cable to transfer all data?

You can, but a normal ethernet cable will work too. Your eMac will
automatically detect the "polarity" and do the crossover part for you.
See <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717> for a list
of computers that do/don't need a crossover cable (note only one of the
two needs to be able to "crossover"). Just FYI, the eMac doesn't need a
crossover cable.

Also, I'm not sure what model iMac you have, but if it has Firewire,
you may want to consider connecting the two with a Firewire cable and
booting one of them into Target Disk Mode. See
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583> for details.

> 4. Will transferring the OS to the new machine overwrite the existing
> OS on the new machine ?

I don't think you can guarantee that everything will be
copied/overwritten. Personally I wouldn't recommend this method unless
you had an external drive you could use something like CCC with. I'm
not sure if using Firewire Target Disk Mode will work with CCC or not.

-Mike