[X Newbies] decrypting keychains

cricket cricket at apple.com
Tue Aug 26 12:03:19 PDT 2003

The reason you get the warning dialog when you upgrade your system is
that keychain keeps track of which applications have access to which
keychain items -- and when you upgrade, the application has changed and
it is no longer 'trusted'. For example, would you want it to be
possible to write a program, name it 'Mail', and have it snag all your
Mail passwords?

While I agree that the dialog is confusing and maybe annoying, there is
a reason for it to be doing this. You don't want other applications to
be able to use passwords that are only intended to be used by one
program.

By the way, this is not specific to Mail, but to any application that
uses the keychain as a means to securely store passwords.

- cricket