[X Newbies] upgrading

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Fri Aug 29 16:47:30 PDT 2003

On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 13:16 Canada/Eastern, The Macintosh Lady
wrote:

> If you have Ethernet on both machines which I suspect you would, (the
> large
> hole that looks like a phone jack receptacle) you can just get a
> crossover
> cable and File Share between the two.
>
> Or, put them both on the internet on cable with a regular cat5 plugged
> to a
> plain hub and file share over that network.

Let's not confuse a newbie. Whatever machines he has, there's no need
to involve the internet in this. The two Macs can be networked together
with Ethernet, creating a LAN (local area network). The simplest way is
to do so with a single Ethernet cable (cat 5 or cat 5e). If the other
Mac is an older one, then the cable must be a crossover cable; if it's
a newer one, it doesn't (newer machines detect the connection type
automatically). It's cheap and easy, but it's limiting. Nothing else
can be added to this network. If you want to network other machines,
use a network printer, or share a broadband connection, you need to add
a hub or a router. Instead of being connected directly to each other,
each Mac will be connected to the hub (or router). This kind of network
arrangement is called a star topology. (If you have a broadband
connection to the internet, the router will function as the gateway
between your LAN and the internet.) In either case, the cables are cat
5 or 5e; the difference between a regular and a crossover cable
consists in how the connectors are wired.

Other options may be available, but it'd be idle to discuss them
without details on John's setup.