[X Newbies] Airport Security

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Tue Dec 23 10:38:30 PST 2003

>>I have recently installed an airport extreme on my ethernet network which at the moment uses DHCP to allocate the IP addresses.  128 bit WEP is enabled and the wireless network is named.
>>
>>Are there any other security measures which I can take?

All of this is based on personal opinions. The unstated question is: Is your primary desire to keep people away from the 'data' that is on your computer, or, Is your primary desire to not share you internet bandwidth with persons that may be in the immediate vicinity (within 150')?

If your interest is in protecting your 'data', then you've not mentioned the single most important item of security. Your password and file sharing settings. Use a good password and do not turn on file sharing and you are set. Nothing else is really needed. Your network will be very secure against others prying to see what you have on your computer.

If your interest is in keeping others within a 150' radius from being able to share your internet connection, then don't use DHCP, do use WEP, name your wireless network " " (a space) as that is your SSID, and enable MAC address filtering. After enabling those, only someone who is very intent on getting to your data will be able to.

If you recognize that all of the above paragraph will make your network a bit more of a hassle for you to use, then you are being observant. That will be the price that you will pay to ensure that no other person within 150' will be able to use your internet bandwidth without your permission.

Determine your priorities of preventing others from sharing your bandwidth, against any desire for ease of your use on your network and make the appropriate settings.

--
Robert Ameeti

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.