Can't Trash .dmg File

Mike Vicente mvicente at mac-email.com
Mon Feb 3 13:32:13 PST 2003

David,

Apple has a knowledge base article on this very subject.
Briefly, make sure you clear the download from the
browswer's download window first (they use IE as their
example browswer). That usually deletes the remaining file.

If that doesn't work, use the Unix method as described by
others.

Mike

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 at 10:38:32 David Boag wrote:
> I started downloading iPhoto 2 from Apple, but there was
> a problem with
> their server, so I cancelled the DL. The partially DL'ed
> file is still
> on my desktop, but when I try to move it to the trash, I
> get an alert
> that says:
>
> The item "iPhoto.dmg" is being used by another task right
> now. (Other
> tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the Trash.)
> Try again when
> the other task is complete.
>
> The file is not being DL'ed, and I have tried to resume
> the DL without
> success. Of course I can't run the installer, because it
> only partially
> DL'ed. I have even restarted the machine, and immediately
> tried to move
> the item to the trash, again, without success.
>
> I'm guessing that the file has still been marked as
> "busy", but I'm not
> familiar enough with OS X to unmark it.
>
> Anyone know how I can get this off of my desktop? I can't
> even move the
> file.
>
> Thanks, and please cc: my private email address below as
> I receive the
> digest.
>
> --
> David R. Boag, DDS
> spikedds at bellsouth.net

Free eMail and Web Site for Macintosh Users
http://www.applelinks.com/
The "iClock" on at the Applelinks Store
http://store.applelinks.com/