[X Newbies] X on early G3 iMac

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Tue Jun 17 08:45:22 PDT 2003

>Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 08:41:01 -0500
>Subject: Re:
>From: Michael Winter <michael-winter at uiowa.edu>
>

>On Sunday, June 15, 2003, at 07:30  AM, Brian Thorpe wrote:
>
>>  I've got an original 233Mhz Bondi iMac running 10.2.6. When I
>>  originally installed 10.2 it turned out that I had to remove one of my
>>  memory modules or it would not install. It would go thru the process
>>  very slowly but would never quite finish.
>
>I know its too late now, but I managed to get around having to remove
>any memory modules on a Bondi iMac by installing Jaguar in the smallest
>increments possible. Going from memory, I did the minimal base install
>first, then installed the rest of the OS (no apps), then installed the
>applications from the second disk one at a time by starting from the
>hard drive, putting in the second CD, and running each installer
>individually.
>
>-Mike

That's not the issue. You shouldn't have to do this. The problem is
that some memory modules (usually addons) turn out to be defective
under X, leading to a stall in the installation process.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html