[X Newbies] Phone Number Mystery

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 3 18:10:40 PST 2003

RevBluejeans . tapped out this message on 3/3/2003 8:46 PM

>>OK fair enough...now here's a question for you:
>>I recently dumped a lot of my pref files. I just went over to the X
>>machine and found that something had again "taken" it over.

>Would you define for me what you mean by "taken it over."

I could not get anything to work, the spinning ball, etc....like "stuck"
but not quite frozen, as if some process was running in the background.

>I don't
>understand what you are intending by that. Do you mean that the machine
>will not respond? Doesn't behave like it did a moment ago? A restart or
>two ago?

I had to restart it. But it wasn't like that when I left it....

> >I made sure
>>that automatic QT and Software updates are turned OFF. Is there a central
>>location from which to turn off INDEXING?

>Was Sherlock trying to Index everything? Or are you talking about some
>other function? Is this INDEXING related to "Taken it over,"?

Sherlock is the internet. It does not index files on your drive that I
know of. In any case I am not connected to the internet on that machine...

Indexing is turned on by going into each GET INFO window or where else
have you? That was my question -- how to make sure it's not running
automatically. By "taken over" I meant it would not respond in a
reasonable time yet was not actually frozen completely. In other words,
it was not allowing "multi-tasking" (just like it does not do "kernel
protection" when TE crashes)