[X Newbies] Phone Number Mystery

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Tue Mar 4 12:16:40 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "TheMacintoshLady" <TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net>
To: "Mac OS X Newbies" <X-Newbies at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: [X Newbies] Phone Number Mystery

> Joe Ellis tapped out this message on 3/4/2003 12:35 PM
>
> >Why would you want to turn indexing off in OS X?
>
> Because the OS can't do much else while it's happening and I do those
> things manually at my own choice of time. So where to turn it off?
>
> > It's a process that runs in
> >the background to support "Find by Content" and is self limiting as to
size
> >of indexes it builds. Once the indexes are built they don't take a lot of
> >space and they don't "grow" a lot and don't take a lot of system
resources
> >to keep up to date. If your system disk is so starved for space that you
> >feel these indices are causing problems then you really need to get a
larger
> >drive or allocate more space to your system volume. Keep in mind that OS
> >is designed to run in an "always on" state and has several "housekeeping"
> >routines that are supposed to run on a regular schedule to maintain the
> >system in a "healthy" state.
>
> I know all about UNIX. I don't want things "running" in the background. I
> have my own scripts to run when I want them to...not in the middle of
> something I am trying to do.

Dear TheMacintoshLady (NOT):
Please unsubcribe from this list and stop bothering us with your complaints
about how "Non-Macintosh" Mac OS X is! All the posts I've read from you on
this list is some kind of a bitch about HOW OS X is NOT LIKE OS 9! Well
YOU'RE RIGHT 9 is NOT X. Either accept it and learn it or go back to 9 and
leave us alone. I have a G4 QS that runs OS X like a top, it currently has
somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 processes running on it and it hasn't
even hiccuped in the last 2 weeks! There is NO WAY indexing could slow you
machine down to the point of uselessness unless it was starved for RAM and
or Disk space. And if you knew all about UNIX you would KNOW some processes
have to run all the time to keep the OS working properly. This particular
list is suppossed to help OS X NEWBIES that want to learn and I, for one, am
tired of your crabbing and carping about the differences between this OS and
the Mac's older ones. I'm trying to figure the new one out and I absolutely
do not care if I ever use OS 9 again, the gains I've seen in reliability and
useability far outweigh anything I may of lost.

Joe Ellis