[X Newbies] Conceptualizing OSX was Desktop

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Wed May 7 08:22:05 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 06:29  PM, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> I'm used to each thing on my hard drive showing up ONCE,
> with the exception of aliases. I had it set up very neatly,
> everything in the hard drive and only current stuff that
> gets backed up and moved off on a regular basis sitting
> on the desktop.

 From this paragraph it sounds like you're having difficulty
conceptualizing the different between the so-called "spatial" Finder of
OS 9 and the "non-spatial" Finder of OS X.

In the spatial Finder of OS9, there is a one-to-one correspondence
between a window and a folder. So, for example, if you opened up your
Applications folder in OS 9, you can resize and move the window, change
the view properties and close it. The next time you open it, it will
open in the same place you left it, be the same size and have the same
view properties.

That also means that there can be only one window showing the contents
of your Applications folder open at a time. So if you have a window
open showing the contents of your hard drive in list view (OS9), you
can double-click your Applications folder and the window showing the
contents of your Applications folder will open. I you double-click it
again, it just brings the exact same window to the front. Then if you
triangle next to your Applications folder, the separate window showing
the contents of that folder will close and the contents will be
displayed in the original window.

In other words, you can only view the contents of a given folder in one
place at a time.

In OS X that all changes. Now every Finder "window" is simply a portal
to view the file system,  and each window can either show a different
view of the file system, or the same view. There is no longer a
one-to-one "spatial" correspondence between a folder and the window
that displays its contents.

What that means is that you can now have two or more windows showing
the contents of the same folder at the same time. So using the example
I gave above, say you have one window open showing the contents of your
Applications folder, but now when you go to another window, in list
view, and click the disclosure triangle to have it display the contents
of your Applications folder there, you end up with two windows showing
the same information. There is no longer a one-to-one correspondence,
the same information can be seen in more than one place at the same
time.

IMO the spatial Finder is easier to learn and comprehend. It more
closely resemble the "real world" where everything stays where you put
it and can always and only be found by going back to that place (unless
you have kids that is). In OS X, you can get to the pan in the kitchen
cupboard by going through your bedroom closet if you want. It can make
some things quicker and easier, but only once you fully understand how
the system works.

I don't know if the above helps or not, but you aren't the only person
who has a more difficult time with the way OS X does things in the
Finder. It just takes a little time and practice.

-Mike