[X Newbies] Dock Overlaps

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Fri May 9 08:57:36 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 9, 2003, at 10:32 US/Central, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:
> Where's a good place for the dock?

Hi Anne,

I'm sure you will get many different points of view on this.  I'm going
to say this--put it where it is the most convenient/least irritating
for you.  Try it out for several days or a week in each location and
see which you like the best.  (Sort of like voting for
politicians--it's not which is best, but which is least bad. ^_^ )  You
can set your Dock to hide, so that it "disappears" from the Desktop
except when you need it.  This way it won't cover anything except
momentarily when you are selecting something from it.

I put my Dock where I'm most comfortable with it--where I instinctively
want to go to "find" it with my mouse--on the bottom.  I make it small
enough so that it doesn't cover the resize widget if I have full-sized
windows open (which I rarely do).  I do not have it set to hide, since
I am often switching between apps and don't like to wait that fraction
of a second for it to "unhide" itself.

I don't like it on the right, because that's where new files/folders
are created by default.  I don't like it on the left because that's too
far over for me to mouse if I need to access it (I have a dual monitor
set up).  I also have 42 items in it permanently, so I need the extra
width that having it along the bottom allows.

HOWEVER, these are my personal preferences; other folks have different
ones, as I notice each time I work on an OS X system here in our lab.

Play with it and see what you like best; you're the only one who can
provide the "correct" answer.

Gretchen