[X Newbies] RAM need for X

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Fri May 9 09:10:51 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne Keller-Smith" <earthpigz at earthlink.net>
To: "Mac OS X Newbies" <X-Newbies at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 8:24 AM
Subject: [X Newbies] RAM need for X

> I'd like to put Jaguar on my laptop eventually. It started out with
> 64mg, I added 64 at the shop initially for a total of 128mb. Recently
> got another 256mg which they told me maxed it out for a total of
> 320MB. (OWC seems to be selling 512 chip for this machine though.)
>
> So ... to make a short story long, why won't the laptop run Jaguar
> just fine on 320MB RAM? Because it's a G3 compared to the Tower
> which is a G4?

Jaguar likes lots of RAM, 320 MB is probably sufficient unless you tend to
open a lot of apps at the same time. That said; you can add a lot more to
your laptop if it's a relatively new model. I have two 512 MB sticks in my
Pismo. It ran Jaguar great as a G3 then I did the Bluechip 500 MHZ G4
upgrade and it is just about as zippy as my 867 MHZ single G4 Desktop
machine.

Joe Ellis