"...disk is in use" But by what process??

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Tue May 20 20:10:30 PDT 2003

>Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:50:52 -0700
>Subject: Re: [X Newbies]
>From: Jerry Krinock <dearjerry at mindspring.com>
>
>on 03/05/20 06:46, James S Jones at jsjones at mac.com wrote:
>
>>  The solution is to close
>[you mean "quit".  This is Apple country. ]
>>  the application that was launched by opening a
>>  file on the disk (that refuses to be ejected). Quit Acrobat Reader,
>>  etc, and the disk is no longer in use. If the reader app had already
>>  been running when the file on the disk was opened, you will not have
>>  this problem.
>
>This is interesting, James.  I think I have may have seen this behavior,
>which I would describe as a bug in the OS.  In my opinion, closing all
>document windows currently accessing documents stored on a mounted disk
>should be sufficient to allow that disk to be ejected.  We should not have
>to quit an app just because it happened to have been launched by
>doubleclicking a document on the mounted disk.  That could have been weeks
>ago, and the document closed days ago.
>
>I'm still looking for a non-brute-force method of finding out which app or
>document is keeping a disk from being ejected.

Word is notorious for making temp files; they don't always get
deleted when the main file is closed (though they should).
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html