[X Newbies] automatically disconnecting dial-up & crash on sleep

leigh lbdesigns at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 1 11:34:43 PDT 2003

On Sep 1, 2003, at 4:18 AM, Deetya wrote:

> I did that. And it didn't do that... automatically disconnect from the
> Internet, I mean :-)
>
> Does this mean that my system is somehow corrupted?

No. Not likely.

> Or is it just a preference corrupted somewhere?

No. Not likely.

> Or is something on my eMac or my ISP inadvertently or advertently ;-)
> sending packets?

Do you have "send PPP echo packets" enabled? That will keep the link up.

Is the mail app on a schedule to get mail every few minutes?

Otherwise, there is probably other traffic ... turning off unneeded
services in /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access (SLP, SMB, etc.)
and in Sharing Preferences may help. It's hard to tell without seeing
the packets.

> On a totally unrelated note, is this inability to disconnect on
> dial-up related to crash on waking up from sleep?

It's probably totally unrelated.