[X Newbies] Router for home use - cross platform

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Sat Sep 27 18:20:24 PDT 2003

On Saturday, Sep 27, 2003, at 15:11 US/Pacific, Paul Korntheuer wrote:

> I need to pick a router for my home. I have:
> Pismo PB G3 10.2.6
> 7300 OS 8.6
> PII/350 Windows 98
>
> Is one router better than others for cross-platform? I want all my
> computers
> to be able to access my cable modem and printer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Paul

There are two considerations:

The administrative access should be through a web interface rather than
a Windows-specific application.  This is true of almost if not all
devices less than a couple of years old.

If you need to use native AppleTalk networking (not AppleTalk over IP
or whatever it's called), the switch component of the device (this
really has nothing to do with the router other than that they are in
the same case) has to support AppleTalk frames.  This is a much more
severe constraint, and if you have this requirement you're well advised
to confirm with other people who are doing this successfully.  Most
low-end switches handle Ethernet II frames only these days.

KeS