[X Newbies] Saving Mail and Other Program Data

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu Apr 22 07:03:33 PDT 2004

On Thursday, Apr 22, 2004, at 02:28 Canada/Eastern, Anne Keller-Smith
wrote:

> [...] I am using a Maxtor external drive but Dantz Retrospect takes
> too long to back up the entire hard drive every couple days.
> 2-3 hours.

(1) Sounds like a USB 1.1 drive, aka "ye olde slow-as-molasses". USB 1
wasn't really designed for this. USB 2 or FireWire's the thing.

(2) Make sure you're doing a "normal" (i.e., incremental), rather than
a "recycle" backup. The latter is only required at longer intervals
(e.g., monthly). At any rate, Retrospect should warn you when it's a
good idea to recycle the backup set.

> [...] I do an entire hard drive backup only every other month or after
> a new program install[...]

(3) Backing up an entire drive on a daily basis is not necessary, but
every other month is a little too little. My rule of thumb: Back up
your User folder daily; back up your entire drive weekly.

(4) Script it, or make a Run document and launch it when you leave your
workstation for the night. Since you're backing up to a hard drive,
user interaction is not required, and you don't have to be there while
Retrospect does its thing.