Splitting streamed MP3s - a follow-up

Steve St-Laurent st-laur at telus.net
Thu Apr 22 20:17:06 PDT 2004

A couple of weeks back I inquired about free or inexpensive tools to
split streamed MP3s. I got a lot of suggestions, most of which involved
conversion to other formats for editing.

Today I found AudioSlicer  <http://audioslicer.sourceforge.net/>, a GNU
Cocoa app which examines silences and lets you non-destructively join
and split chunks of MP3s for export. By shortening or lengthening the
silence threshold you can nail down specific tracks.

Just tried it on a White Stripes interview/performance set streamed
from WUMB Boston and, without looking at any instructions, was able to
nab the tracks I wanted. Only weakness appears to be that it exports
all slices. Can't see how to isolate specific ones.