Saving Mail and Other Program Data

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Apr 22 22:11:54 PDT 2004

> From: Al Poulin <alpoulin at cox.net>
> Excellent rant!  Thank you Charles.  It helped tip my thinking toward
> what
> Mike, Alex, Randy, and Kirk were saying.

They are all founts of good advice.

> As for complicating the OS X experience.  That is the last thing I
> want to
> do.  (Rant on -- I keep wondering why must there be a Terminal
> Application?
> Command Language?  It reminds me of MS-DOS which I avoided like the
> plague.
> Just rhetorical, no need to answer. Rant off.)

The Terminal is there primarily for the use and enjoyment of users who
have a technical bent and can take advantage of it. There's TONS of
cool stuff in there *if* you're comfortable with the world of the
command-line. If you're not and you don't want to be, that's fine.
There's no reason to ever toy with it.

It's not mandatory, but you see a lot of people referencing it (which
may give the impression that it IS mandatory). This is because:

a. For those people, explaining how to do a thing in the Terminal may
be faster/easier/more efficient/more familiar to them because they
understand that world well. One of the big benefits of OS X is that
Apple truly *has* crafted the Holy Grail of operating systems: one that
is easy enough for normal people to use, yet powerful enough that geeks
love it -- and all that power is completely ignorable if you prefer.

b. Certain operations, for example mass-deleting all .mp3 files
scattered around a hard drive by typing "rm *.mp3", is a heck of a lot
faster using the CLI than doing a Find, waiting for Find to return the
results, then dragging those results to the trash, then emptying the
trash.*

>> each user need only concern themselves with ONE folder that contains
>> ALL their created data.
>>
> Does that ONE folder contain the users e-mail?

Yep. And everything else the user creates or is created for the user.
And each user's Home folder is completely separate from the others, so
for example if you have a guest at your house for a month, you can set
them up with their own account, and they can do with your machine what
they like (to whatever extent YOU allow it), and when they're gone you
delete the account and it's as though they were never there. Your stuff
is untouched. Beautiful.

> In OS X, can CCC make backups only of recently changed data?  Like the
> business of the day instead of running the entire User Folder?  If
> not, what
> about Retrospect Deluxe or Retrospect?  Another utility?

My understanding of Retrospect is that it does NOT make bootable
backups, and hopefully someone will clarify this for me. CCC (with the
aid of an automatic but additional install of "psync") can indeed be
set to ONLY clone files that have changed, or it can be set to ONLY
clone a specific folder, and it can be "scheduled." There's probably a
lot more it can do, but you can check http://www.bombich.com for more
information on that.

>> Periodically run a maintenance program such as OnyX (which does
>> everything pretty much automatically),
>
> Are you talking about that 3:15 to 5:30 AM stuff?

The only self-maintenance that OS X does (as of Panther) is:
1. An automatic fsck run after a forced restart.
2. Automatic defragging of files under 20MB in size as you open them.
3. Rotating/deleting of log files, a UNIX task that is scheduled to run
early in the AM if the computer is not asleep.

OnyX does a lot more than that, but it does those things on demand.
There are other programs that do this too, but I like Onyx because it's
free and because it's easy to understand.

>   Cron jobs?

"Cron jobs" is a terribly misused term. IMO, it should only be used to
refer to tasks that YOU have created and used the UNIX "cron" command
to schedule. For example, let's say you never manually empty the trash,
just place stuff in there. You set up a cron job to automatically empty
the trash every 3 days at 6am. That's a cron job.

The "3:15 to 5:30 AM stuff" you refer to are properly called
"housekeeping tasks" and are a preset "cron job" and so to avoid
confusion should be called simply "housekeeping."

>   I just
> reviewed David Pogue's 1/3 page discussion on that.  He does not
> mention 3rd
> party utilities.

He was either not aware of them at the time he wrote that, or he simply
chose to emphasise that the computer can take care of this by itself if
left on and not sleeping at the proper time. I'm sure there's even a
way to "reschedule" the housekeeping but I wouldn't know how. The
fundamental point people don't seem to understand is that it's no big
deal if the computer doesn't get to do this housekeeping all the time
-- running a general system utility like OnyX (Macaroni, Cocktail, etc)
once a month will more than take care of it. Even if it NEVER gets
done, it's very unlikely to cause problems in the five-year lifespan of
most Macs.

_Chas_

Have you noticed that this administration's harshest critics are ...
lifelong Republicans?
Richard Clarke, Paul O'Neil, John McCain, Scott Ritter, Pat Buchanan,
John Dean, John O'Neill, David Kay ... and the list goes on ...