[X Newbies] SFTP

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon Apr 26 12:12:01 PDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:28:36PM +0100, Chris Walker wrote:
:
: I normally use ftp to transfer files to web pages but decided to try
: SFTP with Transmit 2.6.2 with X3.3  Unfortunately this gives 'unable
: to connect to server' although it is OK with straight ftp on the
: server's port 21.
:
: Some questions:
:
: Is SFTP the same as SSH?

Nope.  But SFTP runs on top of the secure tunnel created by SSH.

: What is the 'normal' port for this?  Anarchie tries to connect via Port
: 22 for SFTP (same port as SSH?).

Same as SSH.  See above.

: The IANA listing of ports gives 115 as the registered SFTP port.

Different service.  Port 115 refers to *Simple* File Transfer Protocol.
SFTP (a la SCP, SSH) is *Secure* File Transfer Protocol.  Nowadays,
people refer to SFTP as the latter.

: if SFTP is the same as SSH then do I need to do some port mapping to get
: through the firewall, or is this only if I am trying to remote access my
: own machine rather than upload files to a remote server?

It's not the same.  But since it runs over the same port, all you need
to do is make sure your router/firewall/etc. has port 22 open.

: I'm probably getting a little (read a lot!) paranoid about security :-)

That's not a bad thing.  :-)

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/