[X Newbies] System UI Server hung

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Fri Feb 27 15:44:03 PST 2004

On Friday, Feb 27, 2004, at 12:03 Canada/Eastern, Steve St-Laurent
wrote:

> Almost every time I check in Activity Monitor I see that the process
> System UI Server is hung. Force-quitting it doesn't seem to solve the
> problem, nor does it resolve it. Go back five minutes later and it's
> highlighted in red again. [...]
> Is this a case of Activity Monitor "over-reporting" a normal situation
> or what?

No, this is definitely not normal. SystemUIServer is part of the user
interface, and it is relaunched automatically by the loginwindow
process if it fails; that's why it always comes back up. Something
makes it crash; have you any third-party startup items or enhancements
installed? I'd suspect first items that modify/interact with the Dock
or with the menus.