[X Newbies] Disk Utility

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Mon Jan 19 12:10:39 PST 2004

On Monday, Jan 19, 2004, at 14:56 Canada/Eastern, Robert Ameeti wrote:

>> [...] Find won't search (or isn't supposed to search) directories for
>> which the user has insufficient privileges.
>
> Admin does not have privileges for file in the System folder. That
> would be owned by root.

First, don't confuse file privs with directory privs. Second, don't
confuse ownership and permissions. Do a Get Info on your System
directory. You'll find out that, although you don't own it, you do have
read-only access (I assume you have admin privs); that means that you
can list the files, but not change them. Any place where you have read
access will be searched by the Find command. OTOH, if you have another
user on your Mac, go to his Library folder and do a Get Info on it.
You'll see you not only don't own it, but you don't  have any access at
all, so you can't get a list of files in it. That directory will not be
searched by the Find command.