[X Newbies] Disk Utility/RESOLVED

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Tue Jan 20 07:20:39 PST 2004

>Which brings up an interesting issue, and one that can be argued forever. In my experience, folks who are new to computing SHOULD partition their Mac so that 9 and X are identifiably separated. I have had easily a dozen people do similar things. To them, Applications (OS9) and Applications are the same, so are System and System Folder.

What is also fascinating is that this only happens to OS 9 users who think they know OS X. Persons new to computing will not automatically clean things up. They are too scared to do so. Look at the windows world. Do you see people moving directories around? No.

So the bottom line answer is for people new to OS X from OS 9, don't muck with what you don't totally understand. This is a new operating system. If you didn't create it, don't muck with it. (Till you've learned the new rules.)

--
Robert Ameeti

If you can't convince them, confuse them.